|August 7, 2013
The CIA was transferring surface-to-air missiles from Libya to the rebels in Syria through Turkey when the deadly attack on the US consulate in Benghazi took place, a CNN report has revealed.
As part of the investigation into the death of US ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans last September, the CNN reported on Thursday that up to 35 CIA spies were working in an annex near the US consulate on a project to supply missiles from Libyan armories to Syrian rebels. According to one source, at least seven others wounded, some seriously. It is unknown how many of them were CIA.
CNN said the CIA is involved in what one source calls an unprecedented attempt to keep the spy agency's Benghazi secrets from ever leaking out, subjecting its agents to frequent polygraph examinations.
The circumstances of the attack are being probed as some Congressional leaders pressed for a wide-ranging investigation suspecting that the government has withheld details of its activities in Benghazi.
Congressman Frank Wolf in Langley, Virginia, said.
“I think it is a form of a cover-up, and I think it's an attempt to push it under the rug, and I think the American people are feeling the same way.”
“We should have the people who were on the scene come in, testify under oath, do it publicly, and lay it out. And there really isn't any national security issue involved with regards to that.”
A CIA spokesman said it had been open about its activities in Benghazi.
“The CIA has worked closely with its oversight committees to provide them with an extraordinary amount of information related to the attack on US facilities in Benghazi,” a CIA statement said. “CIA employees are always free to speak to Congress if they want," the statement continued. “The CIA enabled all officers involved in Benghazi the opportunity to meet with Congress. We are not aware of any CIA employee who has experienced retaliation, including any non-routine security procedures, or who has been prevented from sharing a concern with Congress about the Benghazi incident.”
The State Department told CNN it was only helping the new Libyan government destroy weapons that was “damaged, aged or too unsafe retain,” and that it was not involved in any transfer of weapons to other countries.
The CIA would not comment on whether it was involved in the transfer of any weapons.
Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_08_06/CIA-more-Libyan-secrets-coming-out-0345/