Four people have reportedly been killed as clashes between supporters and opponents of Egypt’s president continue in Cairo. The escalating violence forced four top officials to resign, including the chief of the constitutional committee.
Zaghloul El-Balshi, the general secretary of the supreme committee on the constitutional referendum, announced his resignation in a televised interview Wednesday night.
“I will not participate in a referendum that spilled Egyptian blood,” he said as cited by Ahram Online daily. “I call on Morsi to cancel the constitutional declaration immediately.”
The Health Ministry says at least 221 people were wounded in Wednesday violence across Cairo, while taking its time to confirm any casualties.
Meanwhile, opposition groups claim that at least four people died in the clashes outside the presidential palace.
The Egypt Independent also reports that four people, including one woman and a teenager, have been killed.
RT's correspondent Tom Barton reports "a pandemonium" in front of the Ittihadia presidential palace, where a violent standoff between rival demonstrations continues
Thousands of Morsi supporters and opponents attacked each other with petrol bombs, stones and sticks outside the president's residence in Cairo. Gunshots could be heard, reporters said, describing the scene as"a disaster zone."
Security forces had to boost their presence at the scene in a bid to separate the rival parties, but demonstrators continued swarming in from different directions.
Demonstrators have also set fire to and attacked a number of Muslim Brotherhood offices throughout the country, according to local media. Offices in Ismailia and Damietta, north of Cairo, were attacked. Molotov cocktails were thrown into offices in Zagazig and thousands from the opposition are marching to the party's headquarters in Suez.
The volatile situation led to the resignation of at least three more advisors to Morsi including Dr. Seif Abdel Fattah, Ayman Sayyad and Amr Leithy.
Watch RT's telephone interview with Wael Eskandar, an Egyptian journalist and blogger, who was caught in Cairo clashes
Earlier on Wednesday, the Muslim Brotherhood called for a rally backing President Morsi in front of the presidential palace, while leftists planned a counter-protest there. Initial reports from the scene suggested that demonstrators were clashing with police. Now it appears the violence flared up after a thousand-strong pro-Morsi column marched into the square where the president's opponents were staging a sit-in and attempted to "cleanse the place."
Muslim Brotherhood supporters destroyed the opposition's tent camp. Security Forces appeared on the scene two hours into the clashes forming human barriers to separate the warring sides, say local media.
Sporadic scuffles in Tahrir Square were also reported.
The violence broke out shortly after President Morsi returned to the palace. Despite the recent developments, Morsi and his office insist the constitutional referendum will proceed as planned on December 15. Egyptian Vice President Mahmoud Mekky said that "the door is open" to amend the disputed articles of the Constitution ahead of the referendum.
“There must be consensus,” Mekky said, expecting a dialogue to begin soon with the opposition to end the crisis.
“The demands of opposition protesters must be respected,” he noted, adding “I am completely confident that if not in the coming hours, in the next few days we will reach a breakthrough in the crisis and consensus.”
The opposition aliance has reportedly turned down Mekky's suggestion unless Morsi’s recent declaration is retracted.
The crisis forced several privately owned TV channels to break a strike to cover the clashes. ONTV, ONTV Live, Dream TV, Dream TV 2, Al-Hayat Network and the CBC network planned a blackout from 6pm to 12am on Wednesday to object to clauses in the draft constitution related to press freedoms. But as the clashes unfolded, the broadcasters resumed transmission, reports Ahram Online daily.
On Tuesday, Morsi was forced to flee his residence after violent clashes broke out between demonstrators and police. Around 10,000 demonstrators gathered near Morsi’s palace in Cairo to protest his decree granting his office vastly expanded powers, and a draft constitution that was quickly adopted by his allies.
The demonstrators dubbed their siege "the last warning" demanding the decrees be cancelled.
Violence on Tuesday saw 18 people injured, with police firing tear gas to stop the crowds from assaulting Morsi’s residence. Hundreds of anti-Morsi demonstrators then moved to Cairo’s iconic Tahrir Square to spend the night in a tent encampment erected almost two weeks ago.
Golden Eagle Coins
Chameleon John Coupons
Calling for Contributors!Got something to say?
We want to hear from you.
Submit your article contributions and participate in the world's largest independent online news community today!