Update: At Least 50 Killed and More Than 200 Wounded in Las Vegas in Deadliest Shooting Massacre in U.S. History
Via: USA Today:
More than 50 people were killed and over 200 injured when a “lone wolf” gunman opened fire on people attending a country music festival in Las Vegas, police said.
It is the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.
Authorities shut down part of the Las Vegas Strip and Interstate 15 after receiving reports of an active shooter at the Route 91 Harvest festival, near the Mandalay Bay Casino at about 10:10 p.m. local time.
Authorities ruled out terrorism, NPR reported.
Sheriff Joe Lombardo of Las Vegas Police confirmed at a news conference that the shooter had fired from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay. He said officers responded and the suspect was dead. Numerous firearms were found at the scene.
He named the suspect as Stephen Paddock, 64, a local resident.
Update: Clearer Audio Recorded Closer to the Shooter
Full auto weapon. Drum or belt fed. Listen at 1:53 on this video. That’s the clearest sound signature I’ve heard so far.
If I had to guess, I’d say M240 Bravo.
A gunman opened fire at a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip on Sunday, killing at least 20 people and wounding more than 100 others before the shooter was killed by police.
Police described the suspect as being a local Las Vegas man who acted alone and was not believed to be connected to any militant group, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters.
“We have no idea what his belief system was,” he said. “Right now, we believe he was the sole aggressor and the scene is static.”
Authorities were seeking a woman they named as Marilou Danley, he said. He gave no details of whether she was suspected of involvement in the attack but described her as an “associate”.
He said rumors of other shootings or explosives such as car bombs in the area were false.
More Blacklisted News...