|January 13, 2013
British defence officials have made plans for dealing with possible aggressive action by Argentina over the disputed Falkland Islands, The Sunday Telegraph reported.
Military chiefs have drawn up proposals for the deployment of extra troops, another warship and additional RAF Typhoon jets ahead of the March vote on the islands’ future, according to the report.
‘Britain needs to be in a situation to respond very quickly to a whole series of threats – that is why we have contingency plans. Our posture has not changed but neither are we complacent,’ a senior defence source told the paper.
Argentine President Cristina Kirchner earlier this month accused Britain of obtaining the islands in ‘a blatant exercise of 19th-century colonialism’ and demanded they be handed over to Argentina.
Argentina invaded the islands in 1982, prompting Britain to send a naval task force to reclaim the islands at the cost of the lives of 255 British and 649 Argentinian soldiers.
British Prime Minister David Cameron said the 3000 residents of the Falklands had a strong desire to remain British and would have a chance to express their views in a vote on their political status to be held in March.Read More...