The Spanish Minister of Foreign Affairs, Josep Borrell, said yesterday that his country will go ahead with the implementation of the deal to deliver 400 laser-guided bombs to Saudi Arabia.
Borrel told local radio station Onda Cero that “the ultimate decision is to hand over these bombs to fulfil a contract which dates back to 2015,” and added: “We have not found any violation that justifies the non-implementation of this contract, so it must be implemented.”
The sale of the missiles had been suspended earlier this month after Spain’s new government said all arms sales must comply with strict security criteria which include insuring weapons are not used in any other country except the one they are destined for. However earlier this week talks were held with Saudi Arabia and the suspension was reversed.
International human rights organisations accused Western countries, including the United States, Britain, France and Spain, of supplying the Saudi-led Arab coalition in Yemen with weapons which are being used to commit possible war crimes in Yemen.
Yemen is currently experiencing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, as 22 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance and protection, including 8.4 million people who are food insecure, according to UN statistics.
The United Nations estimates that between March 2015 and August 2018, some 6,660 civilians were killed and 10,563 were injured in the power struggle in Yemen between the Saudi-backed government and the Houthis.
The Saudi-led coalition’s recent slaughter of Yemeni children has prompted the Spanish defense ministry to cancel a €9.2-million deal to sell Saudis 400 precision bombs. The Spanish Ministry of Defense announced on Monday that it will return the 9.2 million euros already paid by Saudi Arabia to buy 400 Spanish-made precision bombs amid fears that they could be used to target the innocent people of Yemen, the El Mundo reported.
Our IP Address: