Iran said the missile attack it launched in Syria on Monday had killed 40 “top leaders” of Daesh, and that intelligence for the operation had been provided by its elite Quds Force, Reuters reports.
Iran fired six missiles at targets in the Abu Kamal and Hajin regions in eastern Syria, in retaliation for an attack on a military parade in Iran on Sept. 22 that killed 25 people, nearly half of the members of its Revolutionary Guards.
The Quds Force is in charge of the Revolutionary Guards’ overseas operations.
“Based on the information we have received, around 40 top leaders of Daesh were killed in this attack,” General Amirali Hajizadeh, head of the Guards’ aerospace division, was quoted on Tuesday by Iran’s state media as saying.
“One of the highlights of this operation was that the Quds force had provided the intelligence needed for the attack.”
The Daesh and the Ahwaz National Resistance, a separatist ethnic Arab movement in Iran, have both claimed responsibility for the Sept. 22 attack, but neither has presented conclusive evidence.
Iranian military support has been vital to helping Syrian President Bashar al-Assad through his country’s civil war. Iran has dismissed US demands that it leave Syria.
A senior Iranian parliamentarian on Saturday criticised security personnel for failing to act decisively to stop a shooting attack that killed 25 people at a military parade last weekend, the semi-official news agency ISNA reported... “There were eight or nine sharpshooters who could have killed the terrorists within 30 seconds … but one of them couldn’t believe there was a terrorist attack and thought blanks were fired, and said he had received no order to shoot,” Falahatpisheh said, referring to the video that was shown to his commission, ISNA reported.
On 22 September, an attack during a military parade killed 24 people and wounded 60 others, in Ahvaz (Iran)... Responsibility for this week’s attack was claimed by two groups: the Popular Democratic Front of the Arabs of Ahvaz (which allegedly groups different pro-Iraqi organizations) and by Daesh (which published a video of the kamikaze before the action).
At least 25 people are dead and 53 wounded after an army parade in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz came under attack by militants on Saturday, according to state media. Nearly half of the dead are members of the Revolutionary Guards, according to state news agencies, making this one of the worst attacks ever on the elite force.
Our IP Address: