The US military launched an air strike in Somalia on Saturday, killing 52 militants who had attacked a Somali military base earlier in the day, it said according to a Reuters report.
The air strike targeted al Shabaab fighters who had rammed into the military base near Jilib, 370 km (230 miles) southwest of the capital Mogadishu using a suicide car bomb, military officials in the state of Jubbaland told Reuters.
Pictures taken at the scene after the strike and seen by Reuters showed a large burnt-out flatbed truck surrounded by charred bodies.
Other pictures appeared to show a car rigged with explosives that had not detonated at the Bar Sanguni forward operating base, which had come under al Shabaab attack.
Al Shabaab lost control of most Somali cities and towns after African Union and Somali troops pushed the militants out of Mogadishu in 2011.
But their insurgency is still active.
On Friday they ambushed an Ethiopian military convoy 80 km (50 miles) north of Baidoa in central Somalia. Al Shabaab said it killed “more than 57 Ethiopian invaders”.
Ethiopia’s Ministry of Defence said it used helicopter gunships and “successfully repulsed the attack” on the convoy which was able to continue on to its destination, Baidoa.
On Tuesday, al Shabaab militants attacked a hotel compound in neighbouring Kenya, killing at least 21 people.
The US military said no civilians were believed to have been killed or injured in Saturday’s strike.
Al Shabaab retains a strong presence in parts of southern and central Somalia, and the US military has stepped up air strikes over the last year.
They group could not immediately be reached for comment.
In a shocking new development regarding Tuesday's brazen terror attack on an upscale hotel in Kenya's capital of Nairobi which left 15 dead as Somali-based al-Shabab militants stormed through the complex with automatic weapons, the lone American citizen identified among the dead was a 9/11 survivor.
At least three people have reportedly been killed during an attack in an upscale area of the Kenyan capital Nairobi. Al-Qaeda linked militant group al Shabaab have claimed responsibility for the incident. A hotel and office complex were hit by two explosions on Tuesday, with live footage also capturing the sound of gunfire and injured people being led away from the scene. A spokesperson for the al Shabaab Islamist militant group told Reuters that it has claimed responsibility for the attack.
THE U.S.-LED OPERATION on Aug. 25 would result in the death of 10 civilians, including at least one child, and become the largest stain on U.S. ground operations in the country since the infamous Black Hawk Down incident in 1993. In the operation’s aftermath, hundreds of people in the nearby town Afgoye flooded the city’s streets demanding justice for those killed, and survivors on the farm refused to bury their dead until the Somali government recanted its allegations that they were members Al Shabaab, and offered an apology.
Our IP Address: